India Travel Notes presents: James W Terry
India is a beautiful, big and a diverse country. The rich culture, heritage, natural beauty, historical buildings and the yummy food are some of the reasons why this country is becoming a very popular tourist destination.
There are way too many places you must see in India. In this post I am going to write about the top places for a history buff. Here are top 6 must see places in India (history focused ones):
Photograph by Dennis G.Jarvis
1. Taj Mahal: This is a very obvious one. It is an absolutely captivating monument and make sure Taj Mahal
is on your list – It is one of the natural wonders of the world and so do I need to say more…
2. Khajuraho Temples : These temples are located in Central India. There are around 85 temples and were built around 950 AD. The architecture is simply superb. Khajuraho is a World Heritage site. The fascinating temples of Khajuraho is India’s unique gift of love to the world,
3. Ajanta and Ellora Caves: These beautiful caves were built more than 2000 years ago. They were built by Buddhist monks – these monks cut some amazing sculptures in the rock caves. The caves are located in Maharashtra.
4. Sun Temple: This temple is located in Orissa. It was built in the 13th century and is a temple for the Sun God. This temple is one of the architectural wonders of the world – apart from the temple itself, the surroundings of the temple is filled with natural beauty.
5. Dravidian Monuments at Hampi: Located in Karnataka, this is a world heritage listed site. The stone carvings in this temple are quite stunning. These temples were built between 14th and 16th centuries.
6. Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram: These monuments are located in Tamil Nadu and dates back to 7th century. These monuments are well known for rock carvings and beautiful sculptures.
More about India Travel:
Discover even more about India Travel and find out what your fellow travellers think recommend to try while in India here: